This guide includes a list of the best Medium alternatives.
Below, you’ll find the top alternatives to Medium for writers who want to publish their content online and make money from their work. Each of these platforms like Medium has its own unique features so you can find the website that’s best for you, you’re writing style, and your monetization goals.
Table of Contents
HubPages is a platform where writers can monetize their content through ads and Amazon links. Writers can write about various topics and join the HubPages monetization program.
HubPages is similar to Medium in features and user experience. You can earn money based on views or purchases, but earning enough to get a good payout can take time. It is not a get-rich-quick website platform and the minimum threshold for payments is $50.
However, HubPages is the best Medium alternative to make money for writers who want to leverage their existing Amazon affiliate accounts or who want to reach a large and diverse audience. HubPages also offers editorial feedback and support to help writers improve their craft.
Advantages of HubPages:
- You can write about a variety of topics and earn money from ads and affiliate programs.
- You can earn 60% of the ad revenue generated by your articles. You can also earn from Amazon affiliate programs.
- You can join niche sites within HubPages that have higher standards and traffic.
- You can learn from other writers and editors through feedback and community forums.
- You can participate in contests and challenges to improve your skills and win prizes.
- You can use HubPages as a portfolio to showcase your work to potential clients or employers.
Ghost is an open source blogging platform that writers can use to publish and share their content. Writers can use advanced SEO tools and a feature that allows them to send newsletters and offer paid subscriptions to readers.
You can download the software for free and self-host your blog or pay to host it on Ghost’s servers. Ghost is a great alternative to Medium for writers who want more control, flexibility, and customization over their website and content.
Advantages of Ghost:
- You can create a professional-looking blog or website with a custom domain and design.
- You can monetize your content with memberships and subscriptions.
- You can earn 100% of the subscription revenue generated by your content.
- You can write in Markdown or use a rich text editor.
- You can integrate with various tools and services, such as email newsletters, analytics, SEO, social media, etc.
- You can benefit from the speed and security of Ghost’s hosting service.
3. Vocal Media
Vocal Media is a platform where writers can monetize their content through reads, tips, or challenges. Writers can write about different topics and genres and submit their articles to different communities. To get paid for your writing, you need to connect your profile with a Stripe account.
Vocal Media is similar to Medium in user experience and ad-free environment. Vocal Media is a good platform like Medium for writers who want to explore their creativity and experiment with different styles and formats.
What’s unique about Vocal Media is that this platform gives writers the opportunity to win cash prizes and get direct support from their fans to earn money online.
Advantages of Vocal Media:
- You can write about any topic you want and earn money based on the number of reads your stories get.
- You can join Vocal+ to get higher payouts, bonuses, tips, and exclusive features.
- You can earn around $3.80 per 1,000 reads for free members, or $6.00 per 1,000 reads for Vocal+ members.
- You can submit your stories to various communities that match your niche and audience.
- You can access various resources and guides to help you improve your writing and reach.
- You can participate in challenges and contests to win cash prizes and exposure.
Steemit is a platform where writers can monetize their content through STEEM cryptocurrency. Writers can write about any topic and share their articles on Steemit, which is built on Blockchain and decentralized. Writers also earn based on upvotes from themselves or others similar to how Reddit works, but the value of STEEM varies.
Advantages of Steemit:
- You can write about anything you want and earn cryptocurrency (STEEM) based on the votes your posts receive from other users.
- You can also earn STEEM by voting, commenting, and curating other posts.
- You can join various communities and tribes that share your interests and values.
- You can benefit from the transparency and security of the blockchain technology that powers Steemit.
- You can exchange your STEEM for other cryptocurrencies or fiat money.
Substack is a platform where writers can create and monetize email newsletters. Writers can build an email list, create a newsletter, and direct readers to their website with subscriber-only content.
Writers pay 10% of their revenue to Substack and 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction to Stripe. Substack is a great alternative to Medium to make money for writers who want to reach a loyal audience and diversify their income.
Advantages of Substack:
- You can create an email newsletter and a website with a custom domain and design.
- You can monetize your content with subscriptions and donations.
- You can earn 90% of the subscription revenue generated by your content.
- You can write in a simple editor that supports Markdown and rich text.
- You can integrate with various tools and services, such as Stripe, Mailchimp, Google Analytics, etc.
- You can benefit from Substack’s support and guidance on growing your audience and revenue.
WordPress is an open source blogging platform that writers can use to create and customize their own website. Writers can choose a custom domain, access useful analytics, implement targeted advertising, and build an online store.
The main difference between the self-hosted WordPress version and WordPress.org is in how they are hosted and monetized. WordPress.com is a fully hosted platform that offers a free plan with limited features and customization options. WordPress.org is a self-hosted software that you can download for free and install on your own web server. It gives you more control and flexibility over your site and its monetization.
WordPress is a good option for writers who want to build their own brand and business online instead of relying on Medium.
Advantages of WordPress:
- You can create a blog or website with a custom domain and design.
- You can monetize your content with ads, e-commerce, memberships, donations, etc.
- You can earn 50% of the ad revenue generated by your content if you use WordPress.com’s WordAds program. You can also earn from various e-commerce, membership, donation, and affiliate options if you use WordPress.org’s self-hosted software.
- You can write in a block editor that supports various media and formats.
- You can install various plugins and themes to enhance your site’s functionality and appearance.
- You can benefit from WordPress’s community and support network.
Write.as is a pared-down blogging platform that offers a distraction-free place for you to write, and a clean space for your audience to read. You can publish your words without creating an account, or sign up for more features and customization options.
Write.as is a privacy-focused platform that does not track you or show ads. Plus, it also allows you to create multiple blogs and identities, which Medium does not do.
Advantages of Write.as:
- You can create a minimalistic blog or website with a custom domain and design.
- You can monetize your content with tips or subscriptions through PayPal and Stripe.
- You can write in Markdown or use a rich text editor.
- You can integrate with various platforms and services, such as RSS, email, Mastodon, Read Write.as, etc.
- You can benefit from Write.as’s privacy and simplicity.
Telegra.ph is a platform like Medium that has a nearly identical writing interface. However, this website is for anonymous publishing from the makers of Telegram, a messaging app.
It has a simple UI with only three fields: title, name, and body. It also has a powerful editor that lets you upload images and embed tweets and videos. Your posts are published instantly on telegra.ph, but you can only edit them on the same browser.
You don’t get an account or a way to sync your posts. This makes it suitable for sharing notes or snippets rather than posts for an audience.
Advantages of Telegra.ph:
- You can create an anonymous post or article with a simple URL.
- You can upload images and embed tweets and videos in your content.
- You can write in a minimal editor that supports basic formatting.
- You can edit your post on the same browser without creating an account.
- You can benefit from Telegra.ph’s speed and ease of use.
Newsbreak is a website similar to Medium that provides a platform for local news. It allows local writers and video contributors to create and publish content for their communities. It is the best Medium alternative to make money for those who write about local topics, such as events, food, or lifestyle.
To make money with Newsbreak, writers need to have at least 100 followers and 10 articles. You also need to apply for the content creator program and get approved by the monetization team. One thing to note is that video creators have different procedures for publication and monetization.
Advantages of Newsbreak:
- You can create a local news or lifestyle article or video with a large reach and distribution.
- You can monetize your content with views and followers through the content creator program.
- You can earn a minimum of $1,000 per month for the first three months if you join the content creator program and meet certain eligibility criteria. After that, you can earn based on your views and followers. The exact amount varies depending on various factors, such as the location, category, and quality of your content.
- You can write in a user-friendly editor that supports images and videos.
- You can integrate with various social media platforms to share your content.
- You can benefit from Newsbreak’s algorithm and promotion of high-quality content.
Tumblr is a blogging platform for people who don’t want to create and maintain their own websites. It is similar to Medium in that you can’t easily move your content or monetize it. However, it also has a large audience that can discover your content.
Tumblr is best for short-form content, such as stories, photos, GIFs, jokes, etc, making it one of the top Medium blog alternatives for fun and creative publishers. You can also customize your Tumblr page to suit your style so it truly represents you as a writer and creator.
Advantages of Tumblr:
- You can create a blog with a custom domain and design.
- You can monetize your content with ads or donations.
- You can earn money from your content on Tumblr if you join the Post+ program and set a monthly subscription fee for your followers. Tumblr charges a 5% fee and a payment processing fee per transaction.
- You can write in a versatile editor that supports various media and formats, such as text, photo, video, audio, chat, link, quote, etc.
- You can interact with other users through likes, comments, reblogs, messages, etc.
- You can benefit from Tumblr’s community and culture.
11. Quora Spaces
Quora Spaces is like Medium in that it allows people to create and curate content around their interests and build a following among Quora’s users. However, a Quora Space is a place where you can build a dedicated community around one idea, business, or topic, with complete editorial control.
Quora Spaces is different from Medium in that it is based on a question-and-answer format, while Medium is based on a story format. Quora Spaces also does not offer monetization for writers, while Medium does through its Partner Program.
Overall, Quora Spaces is more suitable for writers who want to answer questions and share their expertise with the world while Medium is better for writers who want to tell stories and share their opinions with a specific target audience.
Advantages of Quora Spaces:
- You can create a space or community around your interests or expertise.
- You can monetize your content with views through the Quora Partner Program or the Quora+ subscription service (coming soon).
- You can write in a question-and-answer format that supports images and videos.
- You can curate other users’ content to share with your followers.
- You can benefit from Quora’s knowledge base and audience network.
Learn More About Medium
Now that you know which websites are similar to Medium, you may also be interested in these other Medium user guides:
Alternatives to Medium Summary
We hope you enjoyed this guide on the best Medium alternatives.
As you discovered, the top alternatives to Medium to earn money as a writer and to publish content online include HubPages, Ghost, Vocal Media, Steemit, Substack, WordPress, Write.as, Telegra.ph, Newsbreak, Tumblr, and Quora Spaces. Feel free to try each of these platforms like Medium to find out which website you like best as a writer and content creator.
The Editorial Staff at SEO Chatter is a team of search engine optimization and digital marketing experts led by Stephen Hockman with more than 15 years of experience in search engine marketing. We publish guides on the fundamentals of SEO for beginner marketers.