This guide answers the question, “how long does Google My Business verification take?”
As you’ll discover below, there are several factors involved in how long it takes to verify a Google Business listing. And this page will explain all of the different verification methods and the length of time for approval.
Note: Google My Business (or GMB for short) is now simply called Google Business. But some people still use the old name out of habit. Therefore, all forms of the name will be used throughout this guide so it applies to each visitor.
Table of Contents
How Long Does Google My Business Verification Take?
Google My Business verification can take up to seven business days on average depending on the verification method being used. Some Google Business Profiles can be verified instantly through phone, text, or email if those options are available during the verification process.
When you add or claim a Google My Business Profile, you can verify it through several methods: phone, text, email, video, or a connected Google Search Console account. Each business is different and may require more than one method for verification based on aspects like the business category, public information, region, support hours, and volumes. After your business is verified, you’ll get a notification.
Google Business Verification Methods and Length of Time for Approval
- Phone or Text: Instant verification can occur through a phone call or text message by receiving a code and entering it on your Google Business Profile.
- Email: Instant verification can occur through email if the address is the same as the one listed on the Google My Business listing.
- Video Recording: This option can take up to seven business days for verification. You’ll need to upload a video that shows the business’s location, on-site equipment, and proof of management.
- Live Video Call: This option can take several hours or up to three days for verification based on the time the live video call occurs. Google Business support hours vary for each region and language. You’ll need to show the same proof during the video call as required in a video recording.
- Postcard: If you choose this method, verification can take up to 14 days. Most postcards arrive within 14 days after being mailed and verification codes expire after 30 days. You’ll need to enter the verification code from your postcard in your Google My Business Profile.
- Google Search Console: If you verify your website with Google Search Console, your profile may get instant verification. Existing Search Console users can verify their matching website before adding or claiming a Business Profile for instant verification. New Search Console users who verify their matching websites after adding or claiming a Business Profile can click on the “Get Verified” button to instantly verify their listing.
More Details On How Long It Takes to Verify Google Business Listings
Each time you update your Google Business listing, it can take several weeks before those updates are displayed on your Business Profile. Also, some changes in your business information may require you to re-verify your account as explained in this other guide about how can a Google My Business location be verified.
For example, hiding your address will typically cause a re-verification request through a mailed postcard. See this related page on how to hide address on Google My Business for more details.
Google asks its users to re-verify some verified Business Profiles to help maintain the quality of the listings on the platform. During the re-verification process, Google may ask you to update or change the information you provided or supply more details about your business for customers. To re-verify your Business Profile, just follow the steps provided by Google.
If you never need help from Google with the verification process, then check out this page on how to contact Google My Business for the available support options.
Now, if you want to improve your Google Business listing for local search engine optimization (SEO) after verification is complete, then check out these related guides:
- How to Add Keywords to Google My Business
- How to Advertise On Google My Business
- Google My Business Optimization Checklist
- Benefits of Google My Business
- Google Verified Customer Reviews
Also, if you ever need help with getting rid of bad reviews from your Google Business Profile, then check out this other guide on how to remove negative reviews from Google My Business. It gives you instructions on flagging inappropriate reviews that may impact your company’s online reputation.
Length of Time to Verify Google Business Summary
I hope you enjoyed this guide answering the question about how long does Google My Business verification take.
As you discovered, Google Business Profile verification can take up to seven business days on average depending on the verification method being used. However, some Google Business listings can be verified instantly depending on the options available during the verification process. After your business is verified, you’ll get a notification.