This guides answers the question, “how much money do websites make from ads?”
Below, you’ll find out how much do ads pay on websites on average by ad platform, industry, month, and year. This information will help you estimate the amount you can get paid with ad revenue as a blogger, affiliate marketer, or niche site publisher who wants to put display ads on your site.
Consider this your ultimate guide for how much do websites make from ads that’s quick and easy to understand.
How Much Money Do Websites Make From Ads?
Websites make $5-50 from ads per 1,000 views on average. How much money ads pay on websites depends on the ad platform, site category, type of content, amount of traffic, user location, and the average number of ads displayed on the site.
Examples of How Much Websites Can Make From Ads
Here’s a list of the average revenue for content sites that make money from ads:
- AdSense websites earn $8-20 for 1,000 views on average. Publishers receive 68% of ad revenue.
- Adthrive websites earn $15-35 for 1,000 views on average. Publishers receive 75% of ad revenue.
- Ezoic websites earn $10-40 for 1,000 views on average. Publishers receive 90% of ad revenue.
- Mediavine websites earn $30-50 for 1,000 views on average. Publishers receive 75% of ad revenue.
- Monumetric websites earn $5-20 for 1,000 views on average. Publishers receive 70-85% of ad revenue depending on the average number of pageviews.
Keep in mind that these numbers are only average earnings; meaning your website may make more or less than these amounts. For example, some web pages can earn up to $100 or more per 1,000 views if the content is focused on a topic that advertisers are willing to pay much more money for to have their ads on that page (e.g., real estate buying guide, refigerator product reviews, credit card offers).
Therefore, a good content strategy to get paid more by ads on your website is to target high-paying keywords and topics. An easy way to do that is to look at the cost-per-click (CPC) and pay-per-click (PPC) metrics for potential search terms using a keyword research tool like KWFinder by Mangools (try it for free). KWFinder is one of the only SEO tools I recommend as an affiliate because it’s cheap, yet powerful for keyword research that can help you improve your website’s monetization strategy for display ads.
Average Amount Ads Pay On Websites By Industry
Below are the average amounts ads pay on websites with Google AdSense in North America by popular industries, which comes from publicly available data in the AdSense Calculator.
- Arts & Entertainment: $5.62 per 1,000 pageviews
- Autos & Vehicles: $9.20 per 1,000 pageviews
- Beauty and Fitness: $13.01 per 1,000 pageviews
- Finance: $32.13 per 1,000 pageviews
- Food & Drink: $14.33 per 1,000 pageviews
- Health: $17.40 per 1,000 pageviews
- Home & Garden: $23.35 per 1,000 pageviews
- Real Estate: $14.50 per 1,000 pageviews
- Sports: $4.23 per 1,000 pageviews
- Travel: $14.10 per 1,000 pageviews
Keep in mind that these estimates are on the lower end for making money with ads on websites. Google AdSense only pays publishers 68% of the ad revenue share while keeping 32%. Compare that to an ad platform like Ezoic that gives you 90% of the ad revenue.
You can understand why a site like this one, SEO Chatter, is monetized with Ezoic to earn money with ads rather than AdSense: Ezoic is much more profitable. You can use my Ezoic affiliate link here to get started with putting ads like you see here on your website today. Setup and integration can be approved in less than 24-48 hours after creating an account.
Note: Other popular ad platforms do not publish a list of average earnings by industry because there are too many variables to consider for each website based on how their ad systems work. For example, two websites could be in the exact same industry; however, each site owner may target different types of keywords, have drastically different bounce rates, and attract visitors from different parts of the world. Therefore, how much does a website earn from ads in the same industry can vary greatly. The only true way to get a good estimate of earnings is to test the ad platform on your website.
Amount of Money a Website Earns From Ads Per Month & Year
Now that you know the variables that affect ad payments, let’s take a look at how much money a website can make from ads during each month and per year.
Based on the available data, websites earn $5-50 from ads per 1,000 views on average. That means you can expect the following amounts below by using display ads on your website.
Average You Can Make Per Month
- $50 to $500 for 10,000 views per month.
- $100 to $1,000 for 20,000 views per month.
- $150 to $1,500 for 30,000 views per month.
- $250 to $2,500 for 50,000 views per month.
- $500 to $5,000 for 100,000 views per month.
Average You Can Make Per Year
- $500 to $5,000 for 100,000 views per year.
- $1,000 to $10,000 for 200,000 views per year.
- $1,500 to $15,00 for 300,000 views per year.
- $2,500 to $25,000 for 500,000 views per year.
- $5,000 to $50,000 for 1,000,000 views per year.
Note: Seasonality is also a factor for making money with ads because advertisers adjust spending during each quarter of the year. Typically, the highest paying months are June, November, and December, while the lowest-paying months are January, February, and April.
If you want to get started with monetizing your website with display ads, I invite you to use my Ezoic affiliate link here. You can be up and running and earning with ads within 48 hours.
The Amount of Money Websites Make From Ads Summary
I hope you enjoyed this guide answering the question about how much money do websites make from ads.
As you discovered, there are many variables that affect how much ads pay on websites; however, the average is between $5-50 per 1,000 views. Therefore, the amount of money a website can make from ads can only be determined accurately by placing advertisments on the site. And ad platforms like Ezoic, Mediavine, Adthrive, and Monumetric are the best options for website publishers.